Sunday, July 3, 2011

Holy Crap!!!

Wow, I have really been on top of this blog thing.  Only like 8 months ago since I posted.  Alot has happened in the past 8 months.  Fickle is making boards straight out of the hood, we have skated, people have learned tricks, and people have lost tricks.  There you go, that about catches you up.

Interesting thing over the past week or so.  Our good friend Kevin Minty (I know that is not the spelling, but it should be) thought the skatepark was a UFC ring and went for the flying head butt.  A little blood from his ear and it was off to the proctologist (wait, that would be for blood from the rear, oh well I am sure it was some type of doctor).  Now Kevin is walking at a 45 degree angle every where he goes (don't worry, doctor says he should get it back to no more than 15 degree angle in no time).  Always trying to keep up a few days after Kevin's slam I decided to do a flying back dive into a waterfall, unfortunately is was made of concrete.  I only managed to get a lump on the back of my skull, sorry Kevin I cannot keep up with the gnar.

So this leads to an interesting thing.  Why don't we wear helmets?!?  Are helmets uncool.  Well, in a literal term they are (it's kinda hot in there).  Do I care if kids wear helmets, wrist guards, knee pads, Burnquist hip protectors, lace savers, etc?  No.  If you feel more comfortable wearing pads then go for it.  Do what helps you progress.  Why don't I wear pads or helmets?  It does not make me more comfortable or feel like landing something I normally wouldn't.  It actually has the opposite feel.  I don't like the restriction that pads give and actually to me skating is about a feeling of freedom.  To me that freedom comes from letting my body feel the wind and sometimes the concrete.

I have been skating for quite a while (actually quit took a break longer than alot of kids have skated).  How often have I been seriously hurt?  Really none.  A few breaks, and probably a lifetime of arthritis, but that is not that serious.  And guess what;  I don't wear pads or helmets.  That is not to say that it can't happen, but seriously, I could die in a car wreck on the way to the park, or worse off die a slow death from all of the chemicals that are in the water and in our factory farmed food.  So my point, none!  Skate and have fun.  If pads help you progress then put on pads.

No comments:

Post a Comment